Thursday, June 30, 2011

Can't Buy Me Love

Bangkok - Chiang Mai, 6/30/11 - 7/1/11

I'm last on the Chiang Mai-bound bus, which means I'm awarded an uncomfortable seat in the very rear of the bus, sharing the space with a large lead pipe.

Fortunately, I'm sitting right next to two cute British girls. Their fashion sense is hippie-chic, both wearing long tribal sarongs, tank tops, and messy hair. They must have gotten on the wrong bus since we're not bound for Burning Man. Both are instantly friendly and warm so I'm convinced I've found my new travel partners for north Thailand. Especially Milly, my beautiful, amber-haired, bespeckled seatmate.

It's their first day in Thailand and Milly and Kate could not be more excited to be on holiday. I share their excitement. Fifteen hours together in an exhaust-spewing, cramped bus with a broken bathroom is enough to make anyone crazy. And there's something magical in the air as the rain pours down so I'm convinced I'll get off engaged to one of them.

I ask them how they spent their first day in the thrilling capital city of Bangkok. "Well we went a bit crazy," Kate begins, "we went immediately to the mall and each bought 7 fake designer handbags. Now our bags are so big, we can't even pick them up!" Look at all of them, Kate implores, as she shares a series of images of the bags photographed in an organized, geometric layout on their hotel bed, calling to mind Mondrian.

Fifteen hours on an airplane to get away from England and the first post-departure stop is a mall to pick up knock-off British bags? New travel partners? I think not.


No comments:

Post a Comment