Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Leaving Home

Westport, 6/7/11

Thank God the Norwalk Travel Health Clinic doesn't carry the vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis. Although the disease certainly doesn't sound pretty, I'm not sure that $750 on one vaccine is truly within my budget. Especially with Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Tetanus, and Malaria Pills (which are $295). After all the shots, my left arm is approximately 3X its normal size, so it's unfortunate that the beach couldn't come any sooner.

I've been notified that, if I purchase 8 more over-the-counter drug store meds, I will automatically become a local CVS franchisee. It is taking everything in my being to prevent dad from purchasing every single CVS medication, ointment and spray prior to my trip. Even though my bag is already 90% drug store, we visit two more CVS stores today. If dad had his way, my bag would be approximately 176 lbs and I would tour Asia in some sort of self-medicated purgatory. I have enough Imodium to give a blue whale constipation and enough Deet bug spray that my scent can probably be detected in the States.

Despite spending the afternoon witnessing my father's application for TLC's Strange Addictions in the category of Drug Store Gluttony, we do end up taking a moment to breath to have a delicious goodbye lunch of fish tacos, arepas, ceviche, empanadas, and mango-pineapple batidos at Norwalk's Valencia Luncheria. Most of the conversation involves the many ways I will die, get kidnapped, be impaled, drown, eaten by a shark, raped, tarred & feathered, amputated, devoured by locusts, boiled to a crisp & served at a small tribal dinner, or develop leprosy. I remain resolute and try to calm dad down. Because, honestly, I know better. No matter the situation, a couple Imodium should do the trick. And I have plenty of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment