Thursday, June 9, 2011

Japan

Narita Airport, Tokyo, Japan, 6/9/11

A six-hour layover would typically be painful if Narita Airport weren't so damn entertaining. Plus I should be thanking my lucky stars that I only have one. Hello Kitty paraphernalia and waving cat toys are everywhere, like fanny packs at Disney World. There is an entire airport museum devoted to origami, depicting scenes of Cinderella, Santa's Workshop, Noah's Ark, Little Red Riding Hood, and more.



Origami Santa

The toilets are so involved, I feel like I'm on the Starship Enterprise. If I had that not-so-fresh feeling due to lack of sleep and 13 hours on a junk American Airlines international flight, the surprising bidets on all the Japanese toilets certainly solve that. If one falls in love with these magical toilets, no worries, you can buy a ergonomic, electronic seat with multi-flush options for a mere Y50,000. Moreover, the futuristic bathrooms offer odd adjacent high chairs in each stall, so your toddler can relax and enjoy some entertainment of you getting rid of that noxious American Airlines forcefeed.

At an exchange rate of roughly Y1,000 = $7.50, I'm lucky I'm going to Southeast Asia instead. Especially when I think about going into Tokyo during my layover and a fellow traveler says the tariff is $350 each way.

Airport ramen offers welcome relief to the American Airlines dogfood. A big bowl of umami-rich buckwheat soba with mushrooms, okra, scallions, beans, and a perfectly poached egg is the ideal morning breakfast to help my cold and work off any residual jet lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment