Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stomach Acrobatics

Nah Trang, Vietnam, 7/30/11

I've averaged 1-3 fresh fruit shakes a day in Southeast Asia and this one has to be one of the best. I swear it's been sent down from Mt. Olympus. Combining banana, pineapple, lime juice, and cinnamon, it's a multi-layered (sweet, sour, slightly spicy) and, due to its lack of any sugar or condensed milk, is beyond refreshing. I like this town already.

Nah Trang is a busy beach town in lower Vietnam on the South China Sea. It's not wholly dissimilar from Miami due to the patrons, restaurants, hotels, and beach clubs. In windy month, Nah Trang is Vietnam's premiere destination for kite and wind surfing, plus the diving in renowned. The city is bigger and noisier than Hoi An, whose quaint charms have been replaced with loud traffic and 24-hour bars.







After a long overnight trip, a morning dip in the South China Sea is the perfect wake me up. I get the blood flowing by joining local Vietnamese kids on the nearby inflatable water park -- slides, trampolines, see-saws, blow-up Saturns. Since I'm only partially taller than the kids around me, I believe I have license to freely practice my immaturity. Later in the evening, one of my dorm mates tells me he had too much whiskey the night before, sampled the inflatable trampoline after park hours, and was joined in his bouncing with his dinner and drinks. Note to self: Heavy up on soap tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment