Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bus to Vang Vieng

Luang Prabang -> Vang Vieng, 7/17/11

The VIP bus is sold out as is the minibus. This is going to be a fun night.

My local bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng takes 3.5 hours longer than planned. It's packed to the brim -- tourists in the uncomfortable seats, locals in the aisles and packed next to the driver. I'm in the aisle seat, but it may as well be the middle seat as I have two aisle neighbors, one in front and one in back. Both are conveniently using me as a footrest for their knees. I mean, they could have bought me a drink first. My window seat third neighbor falls asleep and proceeds to spend the whole trip bobbing back and forth towards my crotch and drooling excessively.

Bathroom breaks on the local bus consist of pulling over to the side of the road and getting out. Sorry ladies. The bathroom breaks are so short and the bus is so cramped that I'm convinced we leave people behind at each rest stop.

We arrive into Vang Vieng at 3:30am. I share a tuk-tuk into town with several Brits who keep bemoaning the fact that they're pre-booked and not staying in Spicy Laos hostel. Well, they should know I never book accommodation prior to arrival. And their glowing review is enough for me. Plus its located next door to their hotel. It gets even better when I enter the hostel and find a dozen travelers still up drinking and exchanging stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment