Sunday, July 31, 2011

Final Meal in Nah Trang

Nah Trang, Vietnam, 7/31/11

My final meal in Nah Trang continues the Vietnamese trend of cooking your own food. All seven of us are gathered around a long table at Lac Cahn Restaurant, decorated with three piping hot charcoal grills. Each resembles oversized versions of the grills that sat in the center of Pu Pu Platters that I loved as a kid. We drink San Miguel beer and eat appetizers of spinach sauteed with garlic and fried rice with mixed seafood. For the main course, we grill chicken, flank steak, and pork loin, each of which has been marinated in chilis, soy, ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar. The meal is fresh, cheap, and delicious. Plus, due to my close proximity to the grill, I can ensure that no absentminded tablemates grill the steak beyond medium rare. Such a crime would be worthy of electrocution.





I toast everyone goodbye as the Golden Girls are staying on the beach for another four days, while the remaining group wants one more beach day and will meet me in Saigon.

As for the lovely and beguiling British Trifecta, my travel partners for nearly all of Vietnam, it's not really goodbye. Not really the end. If not far sooner, I will see you in another life, [sisters].

No comments:

Post a Comment